Saturday, September 19, 2009

Nature-3, Leslie-0

Yesterday I went to work in the garden after I got home from work. It was a beautiful day, and I was quite inspired to get things done!

So, I go outside and survey what I need to do. I check on all my darlings. Remember that one watermelon that was surviving?? I have bad news...the friggin squirrels got to it!!!



They yanked it off the vine and cracked it and only nibbled a little. What jerks!!
I rinsed it off real well, and cut off the infected area, and decided to eat it anyway. Though small, it was delicious.


...But screw those squirrels for not allowing it to fully mature!

Nature-1, Leslie-0

While in the backyard I was getting bit by mosquitoes, so I put on a lot of bug spray. So much that I could barely inhale. But that did not stop the mosquitoes. The continued to bite everywhere including such odd places as my cheek, my eyebrow (2 places), my lip, my ear, and my armpit.

Nature-2, Leslie-0

Final Round...
I went to put some garden scraps in the compost, which I keep in our tiny alleyway. Remember those scary spiders?? I think they are starting to get smart! I was walking through the alley and I felt something on my leg. I looked down and I had walked through a web which spanned the alley!!! He was on my leg eating his bloody dinner. I had bug blood smeared on my leg. I naturally started to scream and rapidly jump up and down. ...his spikey legs were crawling on me... ehhhhhh



Nature-3, Leslie--0

I lose.

3 comments:

  1. I'm rooting for you on the next round. Screw nature! Go Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankfully they're harmless, though scary looking...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/Argiope_aurantia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: squirrels... the exact same thing happened to me as I was witnessing my first signs of real live tomatoes on my porch... these punk squirrels stole my green tomatoes and ran away, but not before pausing to laugh with me (stuffed tomato face and all). They are such little brats! Now I have a ghetto wire mesh cage around the tomato plant, and while it seems to keep the squirrels out, it's a huge pain in the ass to work with while trimming or watering. Damn nature.

    ReplyDelete